Springtime means wonderful things like longer days, sunshine, warmer weather, and flowers. But it also means that critters, bugs, and spiders are out and about in your home more. Over the last few weeks I have noticed more spiders handing out in the corners of several rooms. I even saw one on the kitchen floor at 4 am EEK. So rather than reaching for some chemical to kill those pesky spiders, I make my Simple Homemade Spider Deterrent.
My Homemade Spider Deterrent could not be easier to make. It only consists of three ingredients – white vinegar, peppermint oil, and water. Mix ’em in a spray bottle, shake it and you are ready to go. It could not be simpler!
What makes my Homemade Spider Deterrent a good choice?
- Inexpensive to make – only need water, white vinegar, and peppermint essential oil (can substitute Tea Tree or Lavender if you have children under 6!)
- One batch lasts a few months (depending on house size!)
- Safer than using chemicals to kill pests which you, your children or pets may breathe in or absorb through your skin
- I would not recommend use of this product if you have very young children under 6 or children with asthma or breathing problems. If you are concerned you can SWITCH peppermint out for Lavender or Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Smells way better
- Takes a few minutes to put together
- It works!
The best part is that when I consistently use my Homemade Spider Deterrent I notice that there are no spiders hanging out. I think it also helps keep the ants out in the summer. So it is definitely a win – win.
Homemade Spider Deterrent
- White Vinegar
- Peppermint (or Lavender or Tea Tree) Essential Oil
- Spray bottle (minimum 12 ounce)
- Glass measuring cup
- funnel (optional)
- Take a clean spray bottle of your choice (preferably aluminium and solid color, but if you plan to use plastic like I did from the Dollar store then make sure it is not clear.)
- Measure 1/4 cup White Vinegar into the bottle.
- Add 3/4 cup Water int the bottle.
- Continue by adding up to 20 drops of Peppermint (or Lavender or Tea Tree) Essential Oil. Depending on how strong you want the smell to be. If it is too strong start at 10 drops and test it first. You can always add more Essential Oil later.
- Shake it well prior to each use.
- Spray around each window and door frame. Spray in each corner of your home at the floor and ceiling level. Make sure to shake the bottle every once in a while.
- Enjoy a spider less existence!